Wednesday, December 07, 2005

eTags... and how will i get to work?

Had a quick chat to my mate Glenn this morning who was at the time signing up for the new M7 eTag thingy and decided on the spur of the moment (as I am prone to do) to do the same…

So I am now waiting on some big box thing to stick on my windscreen! W00t!! Feels like Xmas!!  I am now part of Big Brother’s grand plan.  I got my e-Tag via ROAM which gives me $50 credit for the new M7 and access to all the other freeways (which aren’t free anymore).

Now comes the challenge of how do I get to work in the City and back again to the Mountains… do I go down the M4 and through the rabbit warren of Concord / Leichhardt to the City West Link through to the Glebe Island (and perhaps the Cross City Tunnel), or do I go via the M4 – M7 – M2 route and in over the Harbour Bridge OR do I go M4 – M7 – M5 – Eastern Distributor route and come into my work nearly directly on the east side of the City?

Should be interesting (and of course expensive!!).

 

2 comments:

Goreon said...

Clay I got my ROAM etag last week mate - it's not that big actually and fits onto the windscreen easily under the Rear View mirror. It's most definitely the height of convenience when you're driving along the motorways and naturally covers all toll roads in Sydney.

I went for the deposit and auto top up option which avoids the mothly fees - it means I pay a once off deposit (about $40 I think) which I get back if I ever give the unit back, then when my credit limit falls below $20, an automatic $50 topup from my credit card goes onto my account which I'm perfectly happy with.

Whilst some people will have a gripe about that, it's actually quite good and cost effective, because there's no ongoing cost - so I can use it only occasionally and it costs me the same.

It's also a damn nice change not having to fumble for loose change all the time as well.

Cheers

Clay said...

I did the same, and i said "YES" to be registered for the M4/M5 Cashback scheme...

I am not sure if that automatically comes back to me or not (ie do i have to fill in a form?)