Monday, April 10, 2006

Odds & Sods

Apologies dear reader for the fairly sparse activity over the past few days, I think we should be in a bit of a better groove this week.  Last Friday I spent the train trip sleeping as I was battling late nights and the flu.  This weekend was a right off as well (well Sunday was) as I spent the day in bed with a migraine / flu combo that pretty much knocked me for six.  I didn’t get up until 4:30pm yesterday.  Niki took the girls out for the day and pretty much left me to recuperate – she is an angel!

This week though, I have to get my arse into gear and get organised a bit better and that includes some diatribe here as well.  But I will be honest with you, there is nothing REALLY grabbing my attention for a full on venting of the spleen.  But there are a few tidbits that I have noticed, that I will comment on here:

One, the AWB inquiry.  Downer and Vaile will front today to explain how $300M in bribes to a narcissistic dictator who we are supposedly at war against failed to grab their attention.  Should be a doozy today and I did catch Laurie Oakes on Sunday yesterday take the mickey out of Downer by asking him if “he promises to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth” before he began his interview.  Downer squirmed in his pompous “I’m too important for Adelaide” kind of way… The guy should resign immediately.

Secondly; banks.  They want to “increase fees by 9% to offset the cost of competition”.  What the fuck does that mean?  There is a 4 big bank policy that has earned them billions of dollars profit each for years… where is this new competition and why does it mean an across the board 9% fee increase.  And how come they came to 9%?  Collusion and corruption at its highest form…

Thirdly, some odd sporting comments.  It was great to see Bangladesh do well against Australia yesterday in the historic first test at Fattulah.  5/355 is a great effort but I have to say, the pitch was the hardest block of concrete perhaps ever prepared for cricket.  The ball did not deviate, did not vary in bounce and slowed the pace of the ball down to make Brett Lee look like an honest trundler.  You can bet that whatever Bangladesh score, Australia will chase easily.  Also, glad to see Andrew Symonds dropped from the team.  Cannot afford to have a guy average 20 batting at #6.  Also the fact that MacGill got a game and looked the most dangerous of the 5 Aussie bowlers is no surprise.  He should play more often than people realise.

That’s about it… have a good week all!

Listening:  Wolfmother.  New download this weekend… sounds pretty good.

No comments: