Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I'm early, you're late

I am on the train early this morning because I have to be at an external meeting at 8:30am so I am on the 6:50am train.  However this post wont go out until I log into the office so from your perspective, it’s a late post.  But rest assured its still dark – the sun is just dawning – and the rain is spitting down.  This train is very packed and incredibly warm.  They have the heating cranked up, so its very toasty in the carriage.

Yesterday I got caught up in a debate via email with my friends about the advent of technology and the correlation in the change in society in attitudes to all things that encompass “humanity”.

The merit of downloading material (music, books, movies) and the advent of players of these media (iPod, laptops etc) leading to society becoming increasingly fixated on “gadgetry”.  What use are gadgets when the world is at war and terrorism is rife and Africa remains in poverty despite the Live Aid efforts of 20+yrs ago?

Are we “programming” ourselves to oblivion?

My mate Noyz said it best when he and his colleagues at the school he teaches refer to school age kids of today as the “Click And Go” generation.  By this he meant that the impact of being born into a world were all information is available to you at your fingertips via the Internet and being born into a world were mass murder via terrorism is “the norm” and the level of shock at these events is reduced by subconscious acceptance.

I hate to use the expression “but in my day” computers were rare and people got by with ringing people on their home land line numbers as opposed to mobile phones.  A quick scan of my phone numbers on my mobile reveals an incredible percentage of being mobiles.  My friends are “transient” in that they are not fixed to one phone number and are in theory am contactable by mobile / sms 24x7.

It has made a huge change in the way society is and I look at my girls and wonder how the world will change in the next 40 years given that the rate of technology change since the past 40 years is being outstripped at a rapid rate.

 

1 comment:

Chunky said...

Is the world really that much worse of a aplce though, or is it just that the media has made us more aware of it through saturation coverage.

You talk about war and terrorism as though are some newfandangled thing, but they have been going on for years throughout the world giving us nary a worry.

Think of how much less the average person knew about global events 20 years ago compared to now. The same things happened, we just weren't aware of it.

PS Mobile phones suck ;p