Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Gaming - Is it about Luck or Fun?

Indulge me if you will in a bit of a gaming post...

One of my fellow blood bowlers (a Games Workshop game) lost it big time this week with his string of (bad) luck and quit our league mid-season and has advertised on numerous Blood Bowl / Gaming websites that he is selling his largish collection of miniatures and bits and pieces.

In response to this, Tommy "ozjesting" Dean has perhaps drafted one of the best posts / rants about people who whinge about luck and yet play games involving dice.  Dice are, completely random and be it a game on a table with real dice or a computer version of a game with a programmed Random Number Generator (RNG), then you will - and you WILL - have good luck and you will have bad luck.  The point of Oz's post however is that no matter how much strategy you put in, no matter how "good" a player you think you are, a bad dice roll at a crucial time will cruel your best laid plans.

Read this manifesto here.

I do post this posting today because the player who has retired from Blood Bowl is a regular reader of this blog, and I do hope he sees this and realises that he should simply enjoy the game and play it for the camaraderie and not get caught up with the winning / losing aspect.  I know that there are issues in real life mate, but if you can't get some time out with a what boils down to it is a silly game and simply enjoy it for what it is, then you do need to rethink why you do play games of any sort.

I know todays post isnt about World Politics or even my own navel gazing at my own hectic life, but I thought Tommy's post was too good to keep hidden in the fumbbl SWL forum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll reply in the thread instead of here mate. But thanks for posting up the link, I would not have seen it otherwise.

Cheers