Monday, November 05, 2007

Weekend Wrap

Well, the weather went from really crap through to really good yesterday and disappointingly my Saturday cricket was washed out... which meant I found myself at Bunnings on Saturday afternoon instead stocking up on things for the "odd jobs" that had been building up...
 
So, I found myself successfully re-valving the toilet in the ensuite, changing halogen lightbulbs that had gone out, fixing some door stops, put up a new curtain rod in Brookie's bedroom but the damn cold tap in the ensuite wouldnt budge when I tried to change the valve in that!  Can someone explain to me how you take off a bell cover off a tap when it has been perhaps cross threaded without destroying the white enamal?  I tried WD40, hot (boiling) water and all sorts of attempts to grip it but it wouldnt budge.  So the tap in the ensuite remains unuseable (its not dripping, no water comes out at all!).  Seems silly to call a plumber out for just one freaking tap, but thats what it may boil down to...
 
Also with all the rain, I found 4 big (and I mean BIG) funnel web spiders nesting in the eaves above the back door under the pergola.  Funnel webs that were 3 cm in diameter and black and evil looking were sitting in their funnel webs... now they'd be just eating bugs and flies, but they are nasty and if one of the kids were bitten it could be curtains for them!  So I carefully soaked them in bug spray... they got angry and rared up, but when the got sluggish, I flicked them off the eaves with a broom and then squashed them under my trusty sandals.... The kids were at the glass doors freaking out, but it reinforced the "no shoes, no play" philosophy.  I do recall later on the Sunday, Brooke calling out when she was on the trampoline because she had dropped her shoes and was now marooned on the trampoline, too scared to come down!  LOL.
 
Sunday, a much better day weather wise was spent with Niki's sister and family coming over for lunch.  Because the weather looked so bad on Saturday we cancelled any ideas of a BBQ so Niki made lasagne and salads... but in hindsight the day was beautiful.  The kids played on the piano, my nephew Alex was playing his clarinet and it turned into a musical day... mind you my headache later in the day was a bad side effect.  Our guests left at 5:30, but by 7pm I laid down to see off the headache... the next thing I knew it was 9pm and the girls were waking me up to say good night!!
 
Feel good today though... and the weather has turned bad again, we're supposed to get 7 days of rain apparently...

1 comment:

Con said...

Hi Clay,
You crack the wine and I'll bring the tools and it will be off in no time.

Cheers Con