Friday, February 01, 2008

Wild Weather...

Its Friday! Where has the time gone! Today I am very busy at work and will be out and about today but I am very keen to get out the door closer to 5pm rather than 7-8pm. Last night I left the office around 7ish and was driving home rather than training it… and I was absolutely pelted with the largest storm I have ever experienced! It was torrential rain and the wind was blowing but what was freaky was that the lightning was almost solid. The bolts would come down from the clouds and instead of being instant flashes they would sit there and hold their position for a good 4-5 seconds. Whilst this happened the cloud looked like it was being heated by a laser beam rather than it throwing bolts down from the sky. I have to say it was very surreal.

This story from the smh.com.au shows a picture taken where I was driving last night – exiting the Lane Cove Tunnel and onto the M2. As you can see the lightning is very solid. But when I drove through the storm and out the other side, the clouds were the most weird looking... we had high clouds sitting up still whilst underneath, almost horizontal tornado looking clouds were whooshing by at a very low altitude. Then as I approached the M7/M4 junction, I snapped the picture below...



It doesnt do it justice, but that horizontal cloud above the exit sign was moving very quickly and rolling on itself and then when I went up the M7 off ramp (at the Lighthorse interchange) I was probably above it looking down.

Very weird...

No comments: