Monday, October 10, 2005

Back on the rails...

Well, back in the saddle after a weeks break and I must admit, even though it is only a week off – and only 4 working days due to last weeks long weekend – I feel as though I have been away from the office for eons.  It will be hard to get back into the swing of things and I am sure I will have a pile of email and mail built up from my time away.  My calendar today is not too heavy and I will probably spend the good part of the day just sifting.

Also strange to be back on the trains today and it probably makes it a bit more surreal given the fact that there are about 10 Bogan Moths flying around in my carriage.  I hate them things and I have been on the train only 5 minutes and already been hit in the head twice by the bastards…

So other than the wine tasting and playing cricket, what else has been happening:

Blood Bowl:  The Southern Wastes League Season XI has been run and won with Snorri’s Dark Elves taking the title.  This little comp that started 2 years or so ago has now turned into one of the largest online gaming communities in this country.  We have added 3 or so more coaches this week and Season 12 will be starting very soon.  This thing is getting bigger than Ben Hur.  But Blood Bowl in general seems to be undergoing a bit of a revival lately.  A new site AusBowl has been started up and this will be the home of the Australian Blood Bowl scene for years to come I think.  I know that some of the SWL community have been heavily involved in this site (DM, chunky04) so congrats to them.  And finally, MOAB… Whilst I unfortunately missed the tournament, I understand it was a huge success with the SWL’s Beefygoodness taking the title over Tommy “ozjesting” Dean.  I am now committing myself to making the CanCon tournament in January… and my Dwarves will make their debut with full Cheese!

Cricket: I have watched the World XI series against Australia this week and whilst the concept will better with time, I think the series has suffered because of the lack of match practice of the World XI and also the fact that they were not a very good fielding side.  Also some of the selections were clearly made on reputation and reward for services to the game over the past decade.  Pollock, Shoaib, Kallis, even Lara were showing their age and/or lack of match fitness.  Only Sangakkarra, Vettori and Murali can hold their head up for the way that they played.  The World XI needs to be picked annually and be a next step up for Test cricketers.  Even if the World team doesn’t play a game, they should “name” a team.  Then when they do get to play a series such as this, the team will be clearly picked on recent form and not reputation.

NRL:  The NRL Grand Final was won last week by the Wests Tigers and a few things have come out of it.  Firstly the post match swearing.  I think people need to get over this.  No it wasn’t classy, and it is not good for children, but I have heard far worse language directed at children and whilst it doesn’t excuse the players, it does show that we do have a bit of a wowser element in our society that I cant stand.  Secondly, the whole ticker tape parade issue.  If the Tigers think that they deserve a parade, then they need to pull their heads out of their arses.  No way does a Sydney NRL team deserve a CBD parade.  Go have a parade in Leichhardt or Campbelltown, but don’t expect all of Sydney to shower you with glory.  Good game though and the Tigers make a fresh change from the Roosters / Bulldogs / Broncos rinse and repeat era.  Now if only my Dragons can get a win up…

 

No comments: