Thursday, April 20, 2006

Restless Nights

You know you’re getting old when you worry that you left your reading glasses on the dining room table and you have to face a day of looking at computer screens without them.  I can visualise the eye-strain headache already.  Oh Joy.  I left them on the table because I was painting my elven blood bowl team I won at CanCon last January.  They are pretty simple as they are really only 3 basic colours (uniforms all white, skin tone and brown hair) and 2 shading washes (grey-blue wash for the white uniforms, chestnut for the skin and hair).  Compared to the Dwarves I painted for CanCon (7 base colours and 3 washes) they are relatively easy.  I have nearly completed 4 of the 16 miniatures already in just 2 sittings.

I did sit up though past midnight last night doing this and hence am tired this morning.  What added to the sleep depravation is that I was awoken at 4am this morning because Kate was up watching television.  Bit disconcerting to find your 6 year old watching some form of American pseudo religious motivational show at 4am.  I said “whatchadoin?” and she just shrugged… so she came back to bed with us for a cuddle… with which the cat promptly decided to go bonkers and meowed incessantly, so I got up again and put her out.  Apparently the cat had been meowing before for food and Niki had gotten up to feed her.  Our cat is 18yrs old and I suspect is going a bit demented.  She sleeps all day and then is active all night and needs to be fed 3 times a day – 2 of which in the night.  We fear she may not be with us much longer.  I recall Kate mentioning in the pre-dawn darkness that Tonya the Cat is “nocturnal” which is now true.

Of course once the cat was out, the dog got into the act and our Golden Retriever Zoe decided it would be a good idea to stand at our bedroom door wanting to come up onto the bed as well – which is a tad ridiculous at 4:30 in the morning.  I think I fell asleep with her whingeing at the door, but she was on the floor outside our door when the alarm went off at 6am.

Then this morning, I snoozed that alarm until it was too late to get the 7:10 train and made the executive decision to catch the 7:40.  But then one of Niki’s girlfriends rang at 7am for a chat… what gives there?  I answered the phone expecting bad news at the other end from a sick / upset relative, but got “Hi Clay, its Rachel!”/

Standing at the platform this morning pondering the nights / mornings events I remembered that I have to be at a meeting in the city tomorrow at 8:00am but I have a work function tonight that could see me home a bit late.  My eyes are going to be failing out of my head come this time tomorrow…

Listening:  Is it bad to rip all the CD’s you have downloaded to your work laptop?  I have used 3Gb of space in doing so (and have more to do) and am now listening to my collection on shuffle play… At this very second, it’s the Black Crowes “Thorn In My Pride”.

 

No comments: